Chen Xiao-Ping is a professor in School of Computer Science and Technology at University of Science and Technology of China (USTC). He received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from USTC, a M.E. in Electrical Engineering and a B.A. in Mathematics from Anhui University. Prof. Chen is currently Director of the Center for Artificial Intelligence Research, USTC. He also serves as Trustee of the International RoboCup Federation, Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Member of Editorial Board of Knowledge Engineering Review, and Chair of the Chinese National RoboCup Committee. He was Senior Program Committee Member of IJCAI'11, '09, AAAI'11 and AAMAS'12, Co-chair of the 2008 Robot World Cup Competition, etc.
Prof. Chen has been focused on the research and teaching in the field of Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Robotics. He established and has led the USTC Multi-Agent Systems Lab and robot team, WrightEagle, the first Chinese team that ever entered the international RoboCup competitions, the first Chinese legged robot team, and the first Chinese service robot team that entered the final of RoboCup@home. These robots serve as platforms for researches on Intelligent Robotics and Multi-Agent Systems. The team has won 5 champions and 9 runners-up in RoboCup world championships. He found the KeJia Project in 2008, which aims at developing a human-level intelligent service robot, in a sense similar to what Alan Turing specified in his "Thinking Machine".
Prof. Chen won the USTC President Award for Research Excellence in 2010.
* Xiaoping Chen, Guoqiang Jin and Fangkai Yang. Extending C+ with Composite Actions for Robotic Task Planning, the 28th International Conference on Logic Programming (ICLP 2012), Budapest, Hungary, September 4-8, 2012.
* Zongzhang Zhang and Xiaoping Chen, FHHOP: A Factored Hybrid Heuristic Online Planning Algorithm for Large POMDPs, In: Proceedings of the 28th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI 2012), Catalina Island, United States, August 15-17, 2012.
* Xiaoping Chen, Guoqiang Jin and Fangkai Yang, Extending Action Language C+ by Formalizing Composite Actions, Vladimir Lifschitz Festschrift, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 7265, 2012.
* Zongzhang Zhang, Michael Littman, XiaoPing Chen, Covering Number as a Complexity Measure for POMDP Planning and Learning, In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-12), Toronto, Canada, July 22 - 26, 2012.
* Feng Wu, Nick Jennings, Xiaoping Chen, Sample-Based Policy Iteration for Constrained DEC-POMDPs, In Proceedings of the 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), Montpellier, France, August 2012.
* Xiaoping Chen, Zhiqiang Sui and Jianmin Ji, Towards Metareasoning for Human-Robot Interaction, In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous System (IAS-12), Jeju Island, Korea, June 26 - 29, 2012.
* Aijun Bai, Feng Wu, Xiaoping Chen, Towards a Principled Solution to Simulated Robot Soccer, In: Proceedings of RoboCup Symposium 2012, Mexico, June, 2012.
* Aijun Bai, Feng Wu, Xiaoping Chen, Online Planning for Large MDPs with MAXQ Decomposition, In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2012), Valencia, Spain, June 2012.
* Aijun Bai, Xiaoping Chen, Patrick MacAlpine, Daniel Urieli, Samuel Barrett, and Peter Stone, WrightEagle and UT Austin Villa: RoboCup 2011 Simulation League Champions, In: RoboCup-2011: Robot Soccer World Cup XV, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein, Xiaoping Chen, Online Planning for Ad Hoc Autonomous Agent Teams, Proceedings of the 22nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-11), Barcelona, Spain, July 2011.
* Jinsu Liu, Feng Xue, Xiaoping Chen, A UNIVERSAL BIPED WALKING GENERATOR FOR COMPLEX ENVIRONMENTS WITH PATTERN FEASIBILITY CHECKING, International Journal of Humanoid Robotics. Vol. 8, No. 2 (2011) 323-357.
* Jianmin Ji and Xiaoping Chen, Induction in Nonmonotonic Causal Theories for a Domestic Service Robot, In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (ILP 2011), United Kingdom,. 31st July - 3rd August, 2011.
* Feng Xue, Xiaoping Chen, Jinsu Liu, and Daniele Nardi, Real Time Biped Walking Gait Pattern Generator for a Real Robot, In: Proceedings of RoboCup 2011 Symposium, Istanbul, Turkey,. June 5-11, 2011 (Also to be appeared in: RoboCup 2012: Robot Soccer World Cup XV, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2012).
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein and Xiaoping Chen. Online planning for multi-agent systems with bounded communication, Artificial Intelligence, Volume 175, Issue 2, Pages 441-790. (February 2011).
* Xiaoping Chen, Guoqiang Jin, Jianmin Ji, Feng Wang and Jiongkun Xie, KeJia Project: Towards Integrated Intelligence for Service Robots, Technical Report, USTC-MAS-2011-H1, University of Science and Technology of China, Feb.15, 2011.
* Zongzhang Zhang and Xiaoping Chen. Accelerating Point-Based POMDP Algorithms via Greedy Strategies, Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR 2010), Darmstadt, Germany,. November 15-18, 2010.
* Fei Liu and Xiaoping Chen. Gait evolving method of quadruped robot using zero-moment point trajectory planning, Robot, Vol. 32(3), March 2010 (Chinese).
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein, Xiaoping Chen. Rollout Sampling Policy Iteration for Decentralized POMDPs, In: Proc. of the 26th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI 2010), Catalina Island, California, USA,. July 8-11, 2010.
* Xiaoping Chen, Jianmin Ji, Jiehui Jiang, Guoqiang Jin, Feng Wang, Jiongkun Xie. Developing High-level Cognitive Functions for Service Robots, In: Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems (AAMAS 2010), Toronto, Canada, May 2010.
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein and Xiaoping Chen. Point-Based Policy Generation for Decentralized POMDPs, In: Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems (AAMAS 2010), Toronto, Canada, May 2010.
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein, Xiaoping Chen, Trial-Based Dynamic Programming for Multi-Agent Planning, In: Proc. of the Twenty-Fourth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 10), Atlanta, Georgia, USA,. July 11–15, 2010.
* Jinsu Liu, XiaoPing Chen, and Manuela Veloso. Simplified Walking: A New Way to Generate Flexible Biped Patterns. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines (CLAWAR). Istanbul, Turkey, September 2009.
* Huan Li, Xin Li, Dawei Hu, Tianyong Hao, Liu Wenyin, Xiaoping Chen. Adaptation rule learning for case-based reasoning. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Volume 21, Number 5, 673-689. 10 April 2009.
* Xiaoping Chen, Jiehui Jiang, Jianmin Ji, Guoqiang Jin and Feng Wang. Integrating NLP with reasoning about actions for autonomous agents. The Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Joint Conferences on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technologies (WI-IAT 2009). Milano, Italy, Sep. 2009.
* Feng Wu, Shlomo Zilberstein, and XiaoPing Chen. Multi-Agent Online Planning with Communication. Proceedings of ICAPS-09. Thessaloniki, Greece. Sep. 2009.
* Xiaoping Chen and Jianmin Ji and Fangzhen Lin. Computing Loops with at Most One External Support Rule for Disjunctive Logic Programs. Proceedings of 25th International Conference on Logic Programming (ICLP' 09),. Pasadena, California, July, 2009.
* Evan Wong, Wei Liu, and XiaoPing Chen. Connecting the real world with the virtual world. Proceedings of RoboCup 2009 (RoboCup' 09), Graz, Austria, June 29-July 5, 2009.
* XU Kai and CHEN Xiao-Ping. Walking State Analysis Model for Legged Robots. Journal of Software, Vol. 20(8):2170-2180, 2009 (Chinese).
* Song Zhi-wei, Chen Xiao-ping, Cong Shuang. Agent learning in relational domains based on logical MDPs with negation. Journal of Computers, 3(9), 2008.
* Fang-Kai Yang and Xiao-Ping Chen, DLclog: A hybrid system integrating description logics and rules. Journal of Software, Vol. 19, No.12, 2008.
* Xiaoping Chen. Very-large scale real-time planning: Background, models and some advances. Invited talk at the 11th Chinese Conference on Machine Learning, Dalian, Aug. 2008.
* FAN Chang-Jie and CHEN Xiao-Ping. Optimal Action Criterion and Algorithm Improvement of Real-Time Dynamic Programming. Journal of Software, Vol.19, No.11, November 2008, pp.2869−2878.
* Xiaoping Chen, Jianmin Ji, Fangzhen Lin. Computing Loops with at Most One External Support Rule. Proceedings of KR 08, Sydney, Australia, September 16-19, 2008.